Monday, June 15, 2009

Blogging makes it personal

One of the Illustration Friday participants is Parisa Mahmoudi, of Tehran. Her blog is here, it's delightful, she hasn't posted for a week or so.
        Old men in charge sacrificing the young as way to prove their own immortality - in Iran attacking students, in this country sending them to foreign soil for their own agendas - seem like Chronos devouring his children. My opinion. See under Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death.

I received an email from the estimable Fine Carving Palace. Google blogger has been shut down in China for a month, so Mr. Lee has set up an etsy shop for his papercuts. They are mostly Biblical scenes, although I prefer the Eastern-themed pieces. If you'are an etsy member, you might add one of his pieces to your favorites or buy one, they are a steal at between $38 and $56, American. His blog has some wonderful photos on it, runs up to mid-May.

Normal programming resumes (I know you don't come here to be harangued)...

June 22 Edit: Parisa is now posting again, she is fine.

11 comments:

tony said...

Thanks For The Links.
I hope Parisa is OK.

yvette said...

Thank you Susan....strange country china...

Bee said...

Blogging really DOES make it personal. These were interesting links . . . and I felt inexplicably moved by the fact that Parisa made some strawberry jam. I hope that no one is hurt, but the protests in Iran seem like a good thing to me.

notmassproduced said...

great links and I'm loving ur guerilla drawings popping up everywhere. They're great :o)

ArtSparker said...

Bee -

I emailed Tony (at left) earlier that I am in awe of people who choose to put their lives on the line for their beliefs - it's having other people decide what a life is worth that I have trouble with.

Parisa, without being confessional or strident (as I sometimes am) reveals herself so completely in her posts - a very sweet spirit.

grrl+dog said...

Harangued? Never..and I had no idea google was shut down in china. I also come for the cool blogs you recommend.

Caio Fernandes said...

susan , i know it is weird , but when i wrote my last post , for some reason i imaginated that you would read this . and you was the very first one to go there and leave a commentarie.
it is a honnor , i dont know why but since the first time i visited your blog i felt a strong empaty for your works , sence of humor.... when i posted i wished : hope susan read this.
dont be scared . i am not crazy .

milly (elephants&redwoods) said...

:)

mum said...

Wonderful links.

A long time ago, my daughter and I shared living quarters with a group of Iranian students. The photos of Parisa's lunch (spinach kuku) reminded me of that time. Here's wishing her and others well.

The photos of Beijing are stunning (the swirly pink fabric goes on vibrating in my mind's eye.)

Jocelyn said...

I love the various sensibilities you present here. What they all have in common is finding their panache in the details.

Son of Incogneato said...

Mr. Lee's work is quite amazing.
Very inspiring.
Yet another wonderful post among so many.