Saturday, September 19, 2009

Here there be Dragons

Can you see it? The bush in the back used to be topiary carved in the likeness of a dragon with an open jaw, but the man who lives here is very old and can no longer reach the front of it with the clippers. He can only indicate its sinuous lower body. You reach for what you can - The American painter Albert Pinkham Ryder memorably said that making art should be done as if one were a caterpillar on the end of a blade of grass, feeling in the air.

10 comments:

subtorp77 said...

I can juuuuust make it out. Topiary has always amazed me. And love that quote! "feeling in the air"....ah yes! :)

mum said...

in this case, a hairy caterpillar, yes?

Caio Fernandes said...

i like the unfinished aspect of the bush ...
and your dragon should be lamineted in plastic and hanged on the bush .

Jasmine said...

The topiary must have looked wonderful.

Jukka said...

He looks like strange creatures under the sea! I view them every day.

jude said...

i see a fingertip

Celeste Bergin said...

I'm very happy to discover your blog..! Talk about endless charm..ArtSpark, indeed!

yvette said...

lovely sparkle...I'll miss you already, but thanks fot your lovely words on my blog...I'll work hard to be here again..
love
yvette

Titus said...

From a dragon-mad house: we can see them both very clearly.
I love the "whoa" expression on your dragon's face and in his pose.

Gaia said...

Oooh, this is great and somehow the quote, fits my mood so perfectly! :)