Friday, March 5, 2010

The March Hare

Here's another Tea Party participant. Just watched the 1966 BBC Alice in Wonderland last night, I am going to try to get a drawing of Alice and Peter Cook's Mad Hatter done in the next day or so for my movie couples series. Will save my thoughts about the film for that post.

For those of you who haven't done the blurb publishing thing, it's a hoot. I have a background in design and am having a lot of fun, design has elements of both language and visual art, but one is always trying to make it invisible, to let the work speak, so it is very restful. I'm finding myself sort of excited about the limitations, the gutter in the center and the right-hand edge of the two page spread. Makes me want to do something with the famous Oscar Wilde quote, "We are all in the gutter but some of us...."Any ideas?

One blogger who has used the blurb software is Tom at Half Moose with a Twist. His Post modern nonsense verse with illustrations is on blurb here. And happy birthday to the captain of the astronave.

15 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...

We are all of us in the gutter but some of us can't get out?

ArtSparker said...

TFE- there is a particular feeling I have on some days, that I am like a tortoise trying to climb out of a slippery ditch, that is, the feeling of making a very deliberate sort of swiping movement with my front foot which does not result in an advance up the slope. Is that what you mean?

Tom said...

Thanks for the link Susan...
but the green one doesn't seem to be working.
Blurb is pretty easy to use, once you get the hang of it.

Jasmine said...

We are all made of star dust. Keep on looking and reaching xJ

Celeste Bergin said...

I would love to see your blurb book! It would have to be great with you "in charge"..I haven't thought about gutters in a long time. This is a compelling rabbit and page. :)

Steve said...

I'm finding the rabbit's head both oddly compelling and also rather scary!

Jenny Woolf said...

Truly scary picture, that!

Cláudia said...

The March Hare looks as scary like Jack in the Box!
The story popping out of the book into "real" life - that's quite interesting!

ArtSparker said...

C- I have been thinking a lot about the architecture of books, windows, doorways, gutters, edges, and of course an opened book resembles a roof.

Cláudia said...

Susan,

Books and houses - we want them to have entrances, exits and roofs.

Susan at Stony River said...

Now that you it, the Oscar Wilde quote just begs to play -- especially in terms of a book's gutter LOL

I love Blurb; I do two books a year there (one of family and one of my work) and have always been happy with how it turned out.

rosedale's 4head said...

Dude!

ArtSparker said...

Renee- your California connection is showing.

Titus said...

Simply brilliant.

I am in the Gutter! Issue 2 of the magazine of new Scottish writing.

Not heard of Blurb: must investigate.

Tomás Serrano said...

I´ve seen the Tea Party Tilt firstly. This is impressive. I can imagine it in real life! Ufff