Saturday, March 27, 2010

Schrodinger's Hairball

I suppose I wonder if Schrodinger had the Cheshire Cat in mind, since it is neither living nor dead, with its ability to become disembodied. Link to the Wikipedia article.

Edit: I'm adding some words from an email Cláudia sent today:

The Cheshire Cat is one of the most frightening characters in universal fiction. Its smile is pure mock of our need of wholeness and clear distinction between objects in the world. We are always looking for light, transparency and well cut shapes. We don't like blur because we cannot divide blur into small pieces. The Cartesian reasoning demands us to understand the pieces to get to the whole but what do we do if we can't separate the pieces?

Well, I've written about uncertainty as if it were something I can handle in a serene Zen way. But I don't always enjoy it, no, no.

The above is a t-shirt on redbubble.

12 comments:

Tom said...

i'll never understand it, that or the tree falling in the forest thing, or a watched pot. Or long division.

Totalfeckineejit said...

That is brilliant! A little weird, but brilliant!!

ArtSparker said...

Tom - I don't know about understanding it, but it seems to have a lot of familiarity of an "aha" nature packed into it. Also, It is incredibly appealing visually.

Tfe- What it is.

Celeste Bergin said...

haha--Tom's comment. Your furball drawing is very charming--the Cheshire cat is always smiling even while hacking us Schrodinger.

ArtSparker said...

Celeste - he is taking a page from Rigoletto's book - if we take a hairball in the esophagus to be something like a heart.

Tom said...

funny, i just stumbled across this moments ago...it's a small world, eh? http://gelwaz.blogspot.com/2010/03/snerk.html

Dominic Rivron said...

Good picture, that. Schrodinger's cat... It's all fascinating. Sadly, quantum physics is not my forte, and what goes in one ear slowly seeps out of the other and I find I have to read up on it all again.

Subby said...

Martha Grimes did a major expansion of his theory in one of her books "The Old Wines Shades"...e'en tho' I tried to study Q.M., it was rather beyond me, truth be told.

And I have to redo my last drawing challenge due to "techie" problems...okay if I post a bit late?

lettuce said...

schrodingers hairball

you're so funny

tabs4959 said...

How come Einstein did not figure out that using gunpowder would blow-up the box and ruin the experiment? Just wondering.

SKIZO said...

WOW.
Good creations.

justdoodleit said...

Schrodinger's Cat could have been of the Cheshire variety...Mostly because of the uncertainty of its smile.