Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The White Queen and Alice

The Red Queen's opposite number is the White Queen, who tells Alice to believe impossible things...
"When I was your age I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast..."
The figure I used above is one which survived the Berkeley Hills fire of 1991.
....................................................................................................
Note to Deadwood fans: Timothy Olyphant is apparently reprising his role as the sheriff on that series in a movie of FX tonight. NOBODY does grim man-of-law determination like Timothy Olyphant. The link is internal, to a post in my first month on blogger, I did six posts of Deadwood characters as superhero trading cards.

9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

That's good advice for a youngster. Later they find the impossible things they believed may indeed be possible.

Fiona said...

Excellent.

Cláudia said...

How touching to put a survivor as the Queen who suggests believing in impossible things! She is the proof that the game is not a waste of time, oh, definitely not!

Totalfeckineejit said...

I saw her face, now I'm a believer!

ArtSparker said...

Charles & Cláudia - good point.

TFE- apposite, always apposite...

Lorenzo at the Alchemist's Pillow said...

I agree with Cláudia, there is something touching about elevating a survivor to royal status. The quote is one of my favorites -- and probably a good one to go with this week's Theme Thursday prompt of breakfast ...

Titus said...

Sublime, especially the survivor aspect.

Jenny Woolf said...

And that White Queen makes me think of Ccarroll's own description of the White Queen, which I have somewhere or the other. Fat and pale are the two adjectives I remember - although actually that is an attractive little figure and I don't think Carroll intended the White Queen to be. Alice looks solicitous, which she always seems to be in that bit of the book.

Anja said...

Such a sweet quote... thank you. This is just the thing I need right now, I neet to belive in impossible thing... to belive is what helps me through those days